FACT: Hardly a welfare state, Europe’s economy and comprehensive social system are two halves of a well-designed “social capitalism” that is better geared than America’s “Wall Street capitalism” to support families and individuals, and keep them healthy and productive. Europeans are supported with quality health care, more job training, child care, paid sick leave, a comfortable retirement pension, more vacation time and more.
This is more “workfare” than “welfare,” since it keeps workers in good health and able to work. And it reveals real family values, as it provides families the support structure they need in this economically insecure age. The overwhelming evidence shows this has been good for the economy, producing highly productive workers who have sufficient wages to be active consumers.
– Steven Hill, guest blogger
You can see all the posts in this series here.
Steven Hill is the author of “Europe’s Promise: Why the European Way is the Best Hope in an Insecure Age” (www.europespromise.org). He’ll be visiting Seattle and Bellingham next week:
- Monday March 15 at 11 a.m., interview on the Dave Ross Show, KIRO 97.3 FM
- Monday March 15 at 7 p.m., presenting at the University of Washington Communications Building
- Tuesday March 16 at 7:30 pm: presenting at Town Hall Seattle (tickets here)
- Wednesday March 17, 7:00 p.m.: presenting at Village Books, Bellingham