A strong majority of voters support greater state and local government focus on early childhood development and education efforts:
- 80% favor changing the focus of child care to an early childhood education environment by raising standards for child care workers, providing money for training and professional development, and increasing salaries.
- 76% favor providing funds to make voluntary, all-day kindergarten available to all 5 year olds.
- 75% favor providing funds to make voluntary, high quality preschool available to all 3 and 4 year olds.
Strong majorities also agree with the basic arguments in support of strengthening early learning and care:
- 93% agree that early childhood experiences affect later learning.
- 78% agree that quality early childhood education prevents crime.
In addition, strong majorities also support an expanded government/taxpayer role in early learning and care:
- 80% agree that tax dollars should be used to support learning programs for young children.
Full Fact Sheet >