State Disability Insurance (SDI) is a partial, short-term, wage-replacement insurance plan for California workers.
SDI provides coverage for two program components:
- Disability Insurance provides partial wage replacement benefits for up to 52 weeks per claim
- Paid Family Leave provides partial wage replacement benefits for up to six weeks (within a 12-month period)
California is one of six U.S. locations with Disability Insurance or Paid Family Leave.
Key points of State Disability Insurance:
- Provides coverage for approximately 13 million California workers
- Provides partial wage replacement of approximately 55% of employee’s income
- Requires employees have qualifying wages in the base period and be in the labor market when the disability or family leave began
Full Testimony >